Recognition: United Kingdom

Recognition: ‘Arts Therapies’

Title ‘Music Therapist’ 

Registration with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) is the only legal way to work as MT.

It went through Parliament. The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) is an independent regulator.

Every Music Therapist needs to fulfill the standards of proficiency as set by Health and Care Professional Council (HCPC). There is an ‘international route’ for those people who qualified outside the UK who want to work in the UK to be registered with HCPC.

 The national association BAMT has different levels of membership, however, practitioner membership is only open to practising, qualified Health and Care Professionas Council (HCPC) registered Music Therapists. The HCPC is the regulatory body that manages registration and renewal of registration.

Registration with HCPC must be renewed every two years.  Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is an essential element of registration renewal. An example of a CPD profile from a UK music therapist can be seen here:

A keypoint was Tony Wigram forming the Courses Liaison Committee, starting to work together with the pioneers of different MT approaches.

Music therapy was ratified separately to other Arts Therapies professions. However there is a lot of close work between professions

Work with others (colleagues, supporters and other Arts Therapists). There is a lot of work and bureaucracy but the benefits outweigh the work.

Contact the Country Representative for the UK